Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums The Workshop 152 left crank, like finding jaws 3 on betamax – I need help

• 152 left crank, like finding jaws 3 on betamax – I need help

MartinK updated 11 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Posts
  • jonesthefugitive

10 February 2009 at 11:20 pm

Hi Everyone – just joined the forum.

I’m in need of help. I need a 152 left arm crank for my Mountain Bike. You would have thought that this wouldn’t be a problem.

The problem arises with the square taper.

On my old battered crank, if you hold the crank vertical the taper is as if looking at a square. All cranks I have been able to find have the taper looking diamond shape. ( ihope you know what I mean as I am not up on tech jargon)

Not one bike shop around could help me – Can anyone on this forum?

• tomlevell

11 February 2009 at 11:08 am

What does the 152 stand for?

Length of crank?

Easiest solution is to buy a pair of cranks. If you’ve broken one of them the other might not be long for this world anyway.

• jonesthefugitive

11 February 2009 at 11:15 am

Yes – 152 is the length.

To buy the right hand crank involves buying and fitting the whole of the gears – above my head

• tomlevell

11 February 2009 at 11:31 am

Ah right.

This might help.

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=20826&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=de9add1864632467257b23d6c895f156

If you can get the crank on and off buy a new set with rings. 152mm appears to be child bike length reading that and are very cheap but heavy.

• MartinK

11 February 2009 at 10:27 pm

I once found the same issue – with the square taper being 45 degrees out between cranks. I though this was a truvative vs shimano thing. Certainly the cranks I took off (shimano) were 45 degrees different to the ones I replaced them with (truvative)…

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close