Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum The Workshop 2002 Rockhopper – fork removal advice needed?

• 2002 Rockhopper – fork removal advice needed?

Rob updated 11 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Rob

28 October 2009 at 8:12 pm

Hi all, as per topic title.

2002 Rockhopper with Manitou comp six forks. Had a bit of time earlier so was going to drop out the forks and give em’ a clean, but couldn’t remove them? Had removed stem and star fangled nut cap, so thought they would just slide out as per other bikes i’ve done, but no, not even with a few taps from a rubber mallet? Am i missing something, any ideas? 😳

Rob

*** Just had another look, there seems to be a plastic / nylon type collar with cut-outs in it sat round the steerer tube. Don’t really want to start tousing on it until I have some more advice. With everything undone and the bike in the air on a stand, it’s still won’t budge? ***

• tomlevell

28 October 2009 at 8:56 pm

The wedge ring might need some wiggling with a screwdriver. They normally have a split in them to get a screwdriver.

Some don’t though and just need tapping down on the steerer then prising off.

Failing that a block of wood and a proper hammer on the top of steerer should get it moving.

• Rob

29 October 2009 at 8:36 am

Thanks for the info / advice. The bike has been stood for a few years and on further inspection the collar thing is made of alluminium and had started to corrode and was holding on to the steerer tube (very firmly) with its white powdery fust. Some WD40 and a bit of mallet got it out.

Another triumph for brute force and ignorance! 😆

Cheers.

Rob

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close