Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum Organise a Ride 2nd Notts / Derby Ride. 4th Oct 2009. Derwent & Howden D

• 2nd Notts / Derby Ride. 4th Oct 2009. Derwent & Howden D

Gunner updated 11 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 15 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • BMR

22 September 2009 at 10:37 pm

Hi all,

Any of you Notts & Derby riders interested in joining me on a ride round the two dams up in the Peak District. Both these dams are situated just off the end of Ladybower Dam. The dams have a little bit of history to them as the two towers on top of one of the dams were used for range finding by the Dam Busters squadron in the second world war. I am planning a 9.30 start again fron Fairholmes car park OS map ref

SK 172 893.

All are welcome.

DATE…………………………..SUNDAY 4th OCT 2009

START TIME………………….9.30am

START LOCATION…………..FAIRHOLMES CAR PARK. (SK 172 893)

DISTANCE……………………10 MILES

PACE…………………………..STEADY

SURFACE……………………..APROX 3 MILE TARMAC, 7 MILE LOOSE

There is a cafe in the car park at Fairholmes and this ride does see quite a lot of mountain bikers. If time and health permits there are a lot of trails in the area to investigate.

• meta man

23 September 2009 at 11:48 am

BMR have you ever done Ladybower reservoir if so me and my m8 are going there some time real soon do you fancy meeting up cheers

• melewie

23 September 2009 at 4:01 pm

Going to have to be a let down again. It has been decided by the powers that be (missis) that I should take her away for the weekend. Will come on one soon

• BMR

23 September 2009 at 8:44 pm

Hi xc,

I havnt done Ladybower but was thinking about it sometime so keep in touch mate.

Its ok Lewis, look after the missis first, that way she might overlook you spending a lot of dough on a bike eh. Has Pete heard anything about his nicked bike yet?

• melewie

24 September 2009 at 6:48 am

Nothing keeping a eye out on eBay and informed the police but no luck yet it was insured so he us waiting for that to come through. I have now insured mine just in case.

• BMR

24 September 2009 at 6:17 pm

I checked our house insurence covers mine

• BMR

25 September 2009 at 7:18 pm

Come on you Notts and Derby riders, this ride is right out in the countryside with fantastic views, good car parking, would you rather ride round the streets?

• merkysplat

28 September 2009 at 7:00 pm

There any trains that go near there like is said to you the other day BMR not old enough to drive, i heard ladybower is the place to go in the peaks

Regards

Matt

• BMR

28 September 2009 at 7:21 pm

Hi Matt,

I am not sure of any stations I will check on bikehike in a bit and let you know.

Brian.

• BMR

28 September 2009 at 9:28 pm

Hi Matt,

Been on bikehike and checked for a station for you, its bad news the nearest station is Edale which dispite being in the Peak area would be a right sod to ride from to the start of the ride at Derwent Dam because of the terain it would take about 2 hours riding over some difficult terain. I also dont think you would get a direct train from Derby.

Sorry mate if only I was closer to you I would pick you up but as I am near Junction 28 of the M1 it would mean a long diversion in the opposit direction to pick you up. If we get eny more riders from your area wanting to come I will ask if they could pick you up if you want.

Brian.

• Rob

30 September 2009 at 8:19 am

Hi Brian.

I’ve been away from the pc for a few days. I reckon you can count me in for the ride on Sunday. What time are you gonna set off? I dont have a clue how long it will take to get there.

Rob.

• BMR

30 September 2009 at 7:03 pm

Rob.

From your house I would look to about an hours steady ride as its early sunday morning.

My route would be

Into ALFRETON,

out of ALFRETON on A615 through TANSLEY to MATLOCK.

out of MATLOCK on A6 to ROWSLEY.

turn RIGHT onto B6012 through BEELEY and CHATSWORTH PARK to BASLOW.

turn LEFT at island onto A623 to CALVER.

turn RIGHT onto A625, then LEFT onto B6001 to HATHERSAGE.

turn LEFT onto A6187 to BAMFORD STATION.

turn RIGHT onto A6013 to LADYBOWER RES (over bridge) to junction.

turn LEFT onto A57 (after 0.7 miles turn RIGHT towards DERWENT DAM).

drive to the end of the public road turn RIGHT into FAIRHOLMES car park

My estimated miles to Fairholmes car park is about 37 miles.

I will be there at 9.30 but may set out at about 8.00 as I will have a snack to eat on the way. I will be riding the new Barracuda bike I have built, a 10 mile ride should point out any troubles with it.

Brian.

• Rob

3 October 2009 at 9:06 pm

Ok Brian, we’ll see you in the morning mate.

• BMR

4 October 2009 at 8:36 pm

Hiya,

Left the house at 8.00am after being sat up all night nursing my sick spaniel, mind you got to see the Japanese GP. Got my Mcdonalds breakfast on the way. Halfway there got followed by a Mountain Rescue landrover ambulance and thought this might be a bad omen! Pulled into Fairholmes carpark at 9.20, unloaded the Cuda. Rob and Lucy turned up a little later, we had a chat and set off at 10.11am. We did a lap of the Derwent and Howden resevoir, 10.8 miles, took us 1hr 51mins (inc stops for pics, sheltering under a tree when we had a sharp shower and adjusting the gear cables on the Cuda as they bed themselves in). Average speed inc stops 5.8 mph. Max speed 28.3 mph. (Data by Motion X-GPS on iphone). We had a good mornings ride with some fantastic views shared with some good friends and we were saying we wanted to do this again poss in winter when the snow was on the ground.

THE MAIN PICS WILL BE LOADED INTO MEMBER PHOTO ALBUMS

Brian.

• Gunner

5 October 2009 at 5:03 pm

Well done on making the effort and getting out. 😀 😀

Good idea about doing the route with some snow on the ground, it’s amazing how different places look, make sure you get some photos if you do so that we have someting to compare against 😉

Looking forward to viewing the main pictures. 🙂

Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close