Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• B1257 from Helmsley to Stokesley

HarryB updated 11 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 7 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure.
  • nun

16 December 2008 at 2:43 pm

Can someone give me some advice on the B1257 from Helmsley to Stokesley. How steep is it, anything major to worry about. I rode it about 25 years ago on a Claud Butler Dalesman and remember some steep pitches. Now I’m back for a visit and planning to ride from London up to Middlesbrough with the final day being a short one from Malton through Helmsley, Stokesley and into the Boro. I’ll be doing this riding a singlespeed freewheel of 68″ (I actually have a bail out option of 38″ as well with a bigger freewheel on the other side of the rear wheel). Advice would be welcome.

• tomlevell

16 December 2008 at 3:35 pm

Long drag out of Helmsley which should be fine.

Then it’s rolling along the valley floor until Chop Gate.

Clay bank is the major climb but it’s not very steep. About 80m gain in a km looking at the map.

On 68″ you’ll be out of the saddle all the way up or if you need to bail into the lower gear it’s the only point in the ride you’d need to do it so won’t be too much of a PITA to flip the wheel the once.

It’s a quick reasonably busy main road though.

• nun

16 December 2008 at 4:24 pm

Thanks, it sounds like a nice day out. I just discovered http://www.bikehike.co.uk and mapped it out, looks like a nice route, I don’t mind a bit of traffic.

Bikehike is a great tool, far better than ones like http://www.bikely.com. I love the OS map and the profile/gradient plots.

• grant

16 December 2008 at 5:52 pm

hi

yeah good ride out m8 done it a few times not with a fixed 68inch tho

i suppose you could manage it like tom said not so much steep but long

depends on yourself really , there a few lads on here who can really fly up it

lucky buggers 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

• nun

16 December 2008 at 6:36 pm

Time was when I might have flown up the hills, but I’m fast approaching 50 so just doing it is good enough for me now. I’m not doing it fixed, but single speed freewheel so I can coast down the hills. I will have all my gear though so I’ll probably go to 38″ sometime in the day

• tomlevell

17 December 2008 at 10:22 am

Good point. You may want the smaller gear out of Helmsley too. Depends how you feel when you get there.

• HarryB

17 December 2008 at 5:04 pm

Time was when I might have flown up the hills, but I’m fast approaching 50 so just doing it is good enough for me now.

I’m fast approaching 53. I love to fly up the hills 😆 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close