Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Boardman pro 29er 2015

This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure.
  • mikey109

20 January 2017 at 9:11 pm

Buying a used boardman pro 29er 2015 bike this weekend, anything to look out for or any upgrades that ppl would suggest??

Cheers in advance

• CarnaptiousBStard

21 January 2017 at 11:44 am

The only upgrade I can think of is not buying it at all.

Boardmans can seem good value because you seem to get good kit for notta lotta money.

Truth is they are dressing a badly built badly designed frame.

With no thought to comfort or trail use.

Sorry that is so harsh mate,but take a wide berth when you come across Halfords,Decathlon or Go Outdoors.

They might seem like bargains,but they are cheap for a reason.

Give us a budget and let us spend your money.

• Attila

21 January 2017 at 2:28 pm

Looking at the spec the only weak areas I can see are a slightly heavy wheelset and no dropper, other than that it looks like a decent bike. Ignore any comments about the brand, boardmans have come a really long way in recent years.

It got a good review on bikeradar http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-boardman-pro-29er-15-49289/

• CarnaptiousBStard

21 January 2017 at 3:44 pm

I know it sounded harsh Atilla,but I have had first hand ride experience of one of these.

Never again. 😕

• mikey109

22 January 2017 at 11:28 pm

Boardmans can seem good value because you seem to get good kit for notta lotta money.

Sorry that is so harsh mate,but take a wide berth when you come across Halfords,Decathlon or Go Outdoors.

What second hand bike would you recommend for £500 give or take. Just getting into it and want a decent enough bike for my money.

• CarnaptiousBStard

23 January 2017 at 6:11 am

What second hand bike would you recommend for £500 give or take. Just getting into it and want a decent enough bike for my money.

What size and where are you ?

Just saw a Trek Superfly in Glasgow for 350 sheets 🙂

• MPX309

23 January 2017 at 1:19 pm

The only thing I can say about Boardmans is. Everyone I know who’s had one. Hasn’t kept it for very long. Not saying because they’re bad, but because I think it’s a bike that leaves you wanting more. It is probably a great starting point to get into MTB. But if you get the bug you’ll soon be saving up for something else.

• Gunner

23 January 2017 at 7:43 pm

The only thing I can say about Boardmans is. Everyone I know who’s had one…………….

Has had problems with them, including me. 😯

And that covers CX bikes (mine) MTB’s and a hybrid. 😕 😕 😕

I wish that I had taken a bit more time when I went for my Boardman CX bike, it ended up that there was so much better on the market and in some cases just for a little more than I ended up paying.

• mikey109

23 January 2017 at 7:44 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Decided to up my budget a little to around 1000 and i’m now on the hunt for a second hand full susser.

Any suggestions are welcome. I’m in scotland

• CarnaptiousBStard

23 January 2017 at 7:49 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Decided to up my budget a little to around 1000 and i’m now on the hunt for a second hand full susser.

Any suggestions are welcome. I’m in scotland

What about the Trek I mentioned ?

350 sheets and the only thing I can see that would need an eventual upgrade would be the RS XC32 fork.Not that it is all that bad mind you.Andyou could have a wad of change from your budget left to buy one.

• MPX309

23 January 2017 at 10:25 pm

The only thing I can say about Boardmans is. Everyone I know who’s had one…………….

Has had problems with them, including me. 😯

And that covers CX bikes (mine) MTB’s and a hybrid. 😕 😕 😕

I wish that I had taken a bit more time when I went for my Boardman CX bike, it ended up that there was so much better on the market and in some cases just for a little more than I ended up paying.

😆 LOL, I know of someone who had major problems with one on a ride once. But I put it down to bad luck. haha.

• MPX309

23 January 2017 at 10:33 pm

Don’t know how tall you are OP, but I would probably look to get this, n maybe save the rest of the money for a dropper

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2084677/

• boardmantxcpro29er2014

18 April 2020 at 10:14 am

I know it sounded harsh Atilla,but I have had first hand ride experience of one of these.

Never again. 😕

Mate, that is a stupid and ignorant comment. I have recently acquired a boardman txc pro 29er and it is absolutely amazing. All the reviews praise it.

This is but one of many examples

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/boardman-pro-29er-review

Many call it a race bike, it’s so fast.

Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close