Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Coast and Castles Ride 2010

Agman updated 11 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 11 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Agman

6 October 2009 at 12:22 am

Having done a walk around Craster last week, I had seen some cyclist’s in the area and afterwards in Embleton, the same group of cyclist’s were there. I was talking to them and said there were doing the Coast and Castles cycle ride from Newcastle upon Tyne to Edinburgh, sounds great I thought.

I’m now decided on doing this for my main 2010 holidays and the map is ordered from Sustrans, also I will extend the ride from Edinburgh back to Berwick, down to Alston, over to Whitehaven, down to Walney and over to Whitby.

Should be ideal for a fortnight’s cycling trip with a couple of rest days for sight-seeing.

• Gunner

6 October 2009 at 1:56 pm

With photos of all the castles I hope. 😉

• HarryB

12 October 2009 at 4:53 pm

How did the double coast to coast go? I’ve always fancied doing it myself

• Agman

13 October 2009 at 12:41 am

The Coast to Coast never got off the ground, instead walked from Richmond to Robin Hood’s Bay (again) 😳

Well it seems the Coast and Castles has got another twist to it, thinking a fortnight about 50 miles a day on average. I need to do about 800 miles in that time, so I will still do the Coast and Castles route to Edinburgh, then turn east to Dunbar, back to Berwick and pick up the Pennine cycle-way to Haltwistle. Here do the Hadrian’s cycle-way to Ravenglass, then continue down the west coast to Barrow in Furness, over to Arnside and down to Blackpool. Here, maybe a rest day or two. Then head back to Whitby via Slaidburn, Ripon, York, Hull, Hornsea and Scarborough.

I’m also camping, maybe a couple hostels or bb. Just ordered a new tent called Banshee 300 by Vango, which is a lovely roomy 3 man tent. Hopefully will get the bike inside.

• HarryB

13 October 2009 at 5:59 am

Did you do the coast to coast and back the year before?

• Agman

13 October 2009 at 11:13 am

I did the Double Coast to Coast in 1994, the Wheelwright’s in which I did as a double, I don’t know the exact year, probably around the early 2000’s and the last one was 2005. My next one is on the Coast & Castles from the east coast to west and back to the east coast, in that sort of sense.

• HarryB

13 October 2009 at 4:09 pm

I’m planning to do the coast to coast next year with an overnight stop on the West coast. Could you recommend a route. Obvioulsy the fewer hills the better

• Agman

14 October 2009 at 12:20 am

I’m planning to do the coast to coast next year with an overnight stop on the West coast. Could you recommend a route. Obvioulsy the fewer hills the betterThere are many coast to coast routes, the most popular one is the C2C. Then there is the Hadrian’s, Wheelwright’s, Reiver’s and going further south Trans-Pennine.

However, you can make up your route. But you have to cross the Pennines and the Lake District and it’s not flat by any means. I once took the Teesdale route to Hartside, with a nice steady climb over Yad Moss. Then through to Keswick and over Whinlatter Pass.

• HarryB

14 October 2009 at 6:09 am

Oh, I know there are lots of routes and I’ve done the C2c in a day but that route is not really suitable for a road bike. I’m looking for the easiest route bearing in mind I’m planning to ride over in one day, stop overnight and then ride back

• FUBBLEJUG

17 October 2009 at 4:37 am

Im sure theres a road bike specific route from Whitehaven to Roker.

• Agman

18 October 2009 at 12:47 am

Well, got a new tent, maps and now what I need is apart from the Coast and Castles Route is a route down to Blackpool from Edinburgh, probably a nice route through Jedburgh would be nice.

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close