Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

  • Deciding on a bike

     Gunner updated 11 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Fixxxer

    Member
    11 May 2009 at 9:55 am

    Hi everyone. I looked through the forums for a thread like this one but I couldn’t find anything discussing exactly what I need, so..

    I thought I might ask for some advice on buying a new bike. I’m considering a mountain bike or a hybrid (closer the mtn bike end of the scale) so I hope this is the appropriate forum. I noticed you guys have a road bike discussion area, so hopefully this post isn’t way off the mark 🙂

    80% of the time my bike will be used for commuting; a 5 mile ride through London (into the centre). The other 20% of the time will be for casual mountain biking, Brecons, maybe Scotland occasionally but nothing too intense.

    My budget is around £300 – 350, excluding safety equipment and an extra set of slick or mountain bike tyres (depending on what I buy).

    My main priority is weight – for my budget, will I notice any weight difference between a rigid mountain bike and a hybrid? Also, should I worry about long handlebars when commuting in the city? (Never done it before so absolutely no experience here whatsoever).

    At the moment I have no idea whether I would be better off going for a mountain bike with slicks or a hybrid (with off-road tyres for the weekend).

    Any model recommendations greatly appreciated.

    Thanks

    Dan

  • Gunner

    Member
    11 May 2009 at 7:01 pm

    In your shoes I would:

    Buy a mountain bike and fit slicks to it, keeping the tyres it came with to swap over when I decided I wanted to get some real off road action.

    Hybrid bikes are more for road riding than off road riding, they offer the rider a more upright riding position, affording better views of the road than a racing type bike and the comfort of a MTB style riding position.

    😉

  • Gunner

    Member
    11 May 2009 at 7:04 pm
  • Fixxxer

    Member
    12 May 2009 at 12:15 pm

    I think that settles it, I was looking at the Hardrock Comp and the Hardrock Sport. Comp is within my budget; no problems there but I wondered whether I would make use of the extra £100’s worth of components.

    I was also considering the Marin Pioneer Trail and the Marin Bolinas Ridge, same sort of price difference (£70 more for the Bolinas).

  • Gunner

    Member
    12 May 2009 at 3:47 pm

    I’m a massive fan of Marin bikes, but in this instance I’d go for the Specialized over the Bolinas Ridge.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close