Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum Road Riding Evening Ride. Thursday 7th May 2009. Report.

• Evening Ride. Thursday 7th May 2009. Report.

Gunner updated 12 years ago 6 Members · 8 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Gunner

7 May 2009 at 8:40 pm

5 of us set out tonight from the Sporting Lodge on what was the windy end to a very windy day, luckily though the wind seemed to be at out tails for the beginning of this ride.

Myself, Graeme, Harry, Greg and Vince rode out through Stainton and onto Seamer, with Harry sporting his new helmet. 😉

Vince had had to make an emergency detour en-route to the ride after finding his rear tyre badly split and the tube flat, to Halfrauds to buy a new tyre and fit it at the Sporting Lodge as he waited for us to arrive.

Anyway, cracking on through Stokesley, enjoying some jolly banter, we headed for Easby and then on through Kildale to tackle the first of our climbs, the ascent up to Percy Rigg.

A fast downhill into Sleddale valley followed with a then monster uphill grind out of the valley, this is one steep bugger, which today saw me drop into bottom gear and have to sit and grind it out, my legs really hurting from this weeks riding and training. 😳 😳

Graeme was reduced to walking this section, nothing wrong with that, like I said, it’s a real steep bugger.

There then followed a real, fun, fast, long descent into Commondale, and obviously, more climbing to get out of the valley.

This climb is longer than Sleddale, but slightly less steep, and I’m pleased to say that Graeme surprised us by taking this climb in his stride.

At the top Greg, Vince and Harry were waiting for us, and we then motored along the Castleton road to Lockwood Beck, with a very, very fast descent, led by me 😀 😀 bringing us out on to the Guisborough Road.

More climbing up the long drag to the top of Birk Brow, with Harry really motoring up to the top with Vince putting a good effort in on the final section.

Greg was also having a good ride, not really seeming to struggle on the climbs, and enjoying the fast descents. 😆 😆

Descending Birk Brow is always a pleasure, and tonight was no excepion, with the momentum taking us all the way past Slapewath and almost into Gibber. 😀

Through Gibber, and Greg turned off for home leaving us four to blast a path along the dual carriageway to Nunthorpe into a stiff headwind, with my legs finally starting tgo come on stream. 😈

Grame fell off the back on this section, as is easily done, as Grant, JohnC, Simon, will all testify to. You don’t realise how tired you can be ’till you hit this bit, unless your fit and then you can motor.

Through Nunthorpe and onto Coulby at a fast pace, again still into a strong headwind, where we split at the Gables roundabout with Harry and Vince motoring back to the Sporting Lodge as the light was beginning to dim, and myself waiting for Graeme to run down through Hemlington.

A good route, some great scenery, and some cracking climbs, which split us up a bit, but that’s only to be expected on a route like this.

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=3209

Why not give it go sometime.

• vince

7 May 2009 at 9:34 pm

Enjoyed tonights ride,would of been even better if that wind wasn’t so strong,some nice climbs and a couple of very fast downhill stretches.I was flying down(by my standards)to Lockwood Beck,hitting almost 42mph until i suddenly remembered i had a £12 Halfrauds rear tyre on 😆 ,time to ease off i think.All in all another enjoyable ride, a little bit busier traffic wise than some of the other routes we’ve done but fun all the same.

Distance : 33.8miles

Average : 15.8mph

Max : 41.8mph

Time : 2hrs 7mins 54secs

• HarryB

8 May 2009 at 6:40 am

Gunner, you come up with some good rides. This wasn’t one of them.

Nothing wrong with the first half of the ride (excellent in fact) but the second half was more like a tour of Teesside’s dual carriageways, housing estates, roundabouts and motorways. I only stopped cursing you when I got to Yarm

😆 😆 😆 😆

Was just about dark when I got back. 70-odd miles in the bag though

• ShinSplint

8 May 2009 at 8:31 am

Enjoyed it! Thought my heart was about to explode coming up some of those inclines 😆 but its all good for fitness, and rewarded with some very fast descending !

Was good to meet a few more faces 🙂

Hopefully catch up soon.

• Anonymous

8 May 2009 at 10:53 am

It sounds like I missed a good ride.

After a further visit to the doctors, looks like I’ve been taking the antibiotics that were making me nauseous for no reason. Have to now go for an ultrasound scan on it. Hope I don’t have to shave it for that 😳 😳 😳

• Steve Kish

8 May 2009 at 2:05 pm

Went along Jubilee River and Thames towpath with my mate. Felt rough (despite going down a nice drop-off in the pitch black), woke up today with man-flu (serious) 😕

Looking for sympathy at home tonight …. fat chance!! 😉 😯

• Gunner

8 May 2009 at 6:13 pm

It sounds like I missed a good ride.

After a further visit to the doctors, looks like I’ve been taking the antibiotics that were making me nauseous for no reason. Have to now go for an ultrasound scan on it. Hope I don’t have to shave it for that 😳 😳 😳

Bad news, hope everything turns out OK!!!

I hadn’t noticed your post about not being able to make it, bit of a rush myself, and had hoped you might have been waiting to catch us in Stokesley.

Hope you can get out with us soon, this must surely feel like it’s affecting your hard won fitness, you had initially improved so well after the first road ride and the climbs at Ellerbeck.

• Gunner

8 May 2009 at 6:16 pm

Nothing wrong with the first half of the ride (excellent in fact) but the second half was more like a tour of Teesside’s dual carriageways, housing estates, roundabouts and motorways. I only stopped cursing you when I got to Yarm

😆 😆 😆 😆

Come on Harry, the second half was fun, heads down and into the wind at a good pace, my legs were finally starting to come on tap after a poor show on the climbs.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close