Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Favourite Rides in 2009

HarryB updated 11 years ago 7 Members · 20 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • hugo15

31 December 2009 at 12:26 pm

So what have been your favourite/memorable rides in 2009? Here are some of my highlights (in no particualr order).

1. Richmond 80 Sportive. A great day out, scraped in for a bronze and took 30 minutes off my previous best time.

2. Northern Rock Cyclone. Always good to do a 100 mile ride. Felt pretty good all day and still felt human at the end.

3. A random ride to the moors I did with Gunner. A fast pace out to the moors where I climbed really well. As we dropped of the moors Gunner decided to get his own back and stuck it in the big ring/small sprockett combo he loves so much. Hung on to his back wheel for grim death all the way home despite my legs screaming for me to slow down. A very hard ride but also very enjoyable.

4. A ride that I did again with Gunner to Osmotherley in about February. It was unbelievably cold and I think most of my energy was sucked up just trying to stay warm!!

5. The winter training at the industrial estate. This went really well and was much better than I every thought it would be. Was good to meet some of the guys from the MTB side of the forum too. Plan to kick start this again in the new year.

• johnc

31 December 2009 at 12:56 pm

one of the rides i enjoyed was when me & steve, did the hawnby circular, hoping do that again next year, plus the danby circular which i didnt get to do this year

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/23-aug-hawnby-circular-t4314.html

also enjoyed all the mtb forum rides ive attended, excellent routes thanks to Gunner, and great company as usual 😉

• hugo15

31 December 2009 at 1:32 pm

I had forgotten about that one John. That was a tough old day into the wind down Bilsdale. I remember one point when you came through to do some work on the front and I tucked in to get some relief from the wind …………….. only to find out it was hitting us from all directions and there was zero shelter to be had !!

• HarryB

31 December 2009 at 1:43 pm

Well, I went to the Alps in July so you’d think it would be one of those rides. No. I love the Alps but had a crap time this year because of illness and a few other ‘issues’.

The year before in the Alps I’d say that all eight days I rode were the best rides ever.

The one that takes top spot this year was the climb up the legendaty Sa Calobra in Majorca

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/22045.jpg

It’s 10km with an average gradient of 8% and there are a few bits with 14%. It was 30 degrees when I did it and I already had about 40 miles in my legs including some tough climbs. I was dreading it but I rode it in style. probably my best ever performance on a big climb.

If you’ve never cycled in Majorca you really must do it. We should have a forum trip to Majorca in 2010. I’ll be your guide if you like 😆 😆 😆

• Gunner

31 December 2009 at 3:16 pm

Well these 3 would have to rank up there somewhere, but to be honest, the majority of our rides have been great fun…………………..

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/the-richmond-sportive-gunners-tale-t3230.html

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/sunday-may-31st-climbing-in-this-heat-t3324.html

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/our-ride-sunday-17th-may-t3143.html

😀 😀 😀

• vince

31 December 2009 at 7:31 pm

1. Richmond 80 Sportive. A great day out, scraped in for a bronze and took 30 minutes off my previous best time.

Got to agree with that one,i also managed a bronze in my first sportive.Excellent ride,well organised,great value for money and the company wasn’t bad either 😆

I also enjoyed the night rides perfect way to chill out after a days work.

• Gunner

31 December 2009 at 7:45 pm

I tell you one I enjoyed Vince but I couldn’t find the link to it………..

It was our ride down to Laskill and Hawnby then over to Cod Beck etc.

Your mate was with us who was going to do the Etape de Caledonia I think it was.

I’ve done that route plenty of times on my own but it was good to do it with some good company. 🙂

Grant was also with us but struggling a tad on the climbs, though he did come back strong on the flats after Swainby.

• vince

31 December 2009 at 7:52 pm

I tell you one I enjoyed Vince but I couldn’t find the link to it………..

Yeah,Pete.Was a good ride,Saturday morning,early start if i remember right possibly 7am ? Grant had been on the brown ale i think ? I love the drop from Clay Bank car park towards chop gate 😆

• Gunner

31 December 2009 at 7:56 pm

I love the drop from Clay Bank car park towards chop gate 😆

Yeah, with the right frame of mind you can blast along from there almost right into Chop Gate at a ruddy good turn of speed.

If I remember correctly we had a stiff breeze to contend with all the way to Laskill on that day, but still kept a good pace up.

• HarryB

31 December 2009 at 8:30 pm

You know what fellas, we said it last year but we really must make more of the spring and summer weather for the evening rides. Winter is far too long and this one has been crap so far.

• Gunner

31 December 2009 at 8:36 pm

Winter is far too long and this one has been crap so far.

Hear, hear. 🙄 🙄

Yes, 2010 is going to be for riding methinks, at every oppurtunity. 😀

• MikeBoro

2 January 2010 at 8:30 am

The ride I did with Gunner and Hugo over Danby. It was a perfect day and was my baptism of fire. First real climbs for me and a puncture coming down hill.

• rockster

2 January 2010 at 3:49 pm

My favourite ride of 2009 was in majorca,when i hired a road bike and rode from Alcudia to Cap De Formentor,only about 40 mls round trip,but some lovely climbs and scenery and 30 odd degrees.A coffee and a croissant at the lighthouse cafe at the headland and back to the hotel.

• HarryB

2 January 2010 at 3:59 pm

My favourite ride of 2009 was in majorca,when i hired a road bike and rode from Alcudia to Cap De Formentor,only about 40 mls round trip,but some lovely climbs and scenery and 30 odd degrees.A coffee and a croissant at the lighthouse cafe at the headland and back to the hotel.

That is a beautiful ride Rockster. That first climb is quite tough. Done it a couple of times. Road surface isn’t that good. One of the few rides on Majorca with poor road surfaces.

The views are incredible at times aren’t they?

• rockster

2 January 2010 at 4:06 pm

Yes they are Harry,i did that first climb twice also,the first time was a few days b4,i took a right at the top of the climb opposite the viewpoint there,s another rd takes you up another winding climb to what looks like an old observation post,that ride really wetted my appetite for the cap ride.The sun was just starting to go down and made the views well worth the effort.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 20 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close