Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum The Workshop GT Outpost Disc 2009 Pinhead Locking Skewer ??

• GT Outpost Disc 2009 Pinhead Locking Skewer ??

Gunner updated 11 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • wiseoldman

1 January 2010 at 7:23 am

Hello to all and thanks for taking the time out to read my post.

This is my first venture back on a bike for many years now and in my 40s I thought its time to breath some of that fresh air and get out and lose some weight and get a bit fitter at the same time.

The reason I’m posting is that I have just purchased a second hand in good condition GT Outpost Disc 2009 model, the only problem I have found is sqeaky disc brakes but seem to have found the solution for that reading through the postings on here.

What I’m really after is some documentation for this bike because I know I can be stupid at times and miss the obvious but looking at the wheels on this how do they come off ??, There isnt an obvious sided nut to put a spanner on to or an obvious quick release handle to turn but some strange none sided attachment that someone with Outpost or GT experiance could put me right with (Picture below). It did say when I was reading up about this bike on various websites before purchasing it that it had quick release wheels. Its probably something simple starring right at me but for the likes of me I cant work it out, all I’m thinking there is a special tool that attachs to what ever is holding my wheels on. Yes your probably laughing at me now and I dont blame you but i can be as thick as a plank sometimes and not very diy minded without something to look at or being told what to do so im leaving it alone until I get some help.

I’d like to give a big thank you in advance to anyway who does manage to help me out here before I give up and venture in to a cycle shop for some help.

Happy New Year to you all.

UPDATE – Ive done a bit of investigation on the net re my problem and I’ve found out what is securing my wheels is what I believe to be a set of pinhead locking skewers which the pervious owner has lost the key for as never had the wheels off in the time they owned it. So my problem now is how do I remove these skewers without a key ??, It always happens to me, nothing is never straight forward. My wish after purchasing this bike and enjoying it without problems for a while were extremley short lived.

• Gunner

1 January 2010 at 11:51 am

This any good:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/

😕 😕

• Chatman

1 January 2010 at 2:16 pm

Top site find Gunner…i like the disclaimer part “we accept no responsibility for how badly you bugger-up your bike trying to fix it yourself!”

Wiseoldman…..Those should have QR wheels on…looks like someone changed the hubs over 😕 😕 A right bugger if you et a flat….From the looks of the nut… it is a thumb type screw….so should not be too hard to remove…..

• wiseoldman

5 January 2010 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Ive found out that there are a set of Pinhead skewers on the bike I purchased which the pervious legit owner has lost the key for so now I’m stuck for how to get these off without reverting to an grinder. One side of the wheel I have a blank dome and the other the pinhead lock to locate the key on. Any sugestions would be helpful. I’ve tried the official Pinhead website but havent recieved a reply back from them but been told if they could supply another key it would be cheaper for me to go and buy another complete set of pinhead skewers, oh so if life set to test us !!

• Gunner

5 January 2010 at 8:09 pm

Seems like you’re pretty goosed 😯

I imagine that there’s not many people using them for you even to advertise on here or elsewhere for anybody with a key who could help you out. 🙄

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close