Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Marin BV SE 1993 forks n stuff

Antimus updated 11 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 9 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Antimus

27 July 2009 at 10:47 am

ok, split into a few parts

Forks

I have heard a rumor that the diameter of the (forgive my lack of lingo) hole that the forks go through is different to the current standard so I couldn’t buy a brand new set of rockshox and expect them to fit onto my old BV.

Does anyone know what size I do need? and also where I could find a set? hopefully cheap?

Cogs

The teeth on the front and back cogs are chewed to pieces, it’s a 21 speeder, so that’s 7 on the back and 3 on the front of course. Can you still get 7 speed sets that I can jam on the back and expect to work?

The cogs on the rear deraileur are a bit chewed too, I assume they’re easily swappable as well? as the actually deraileur is fine, a soak in a bath to get rid of all the gunk and then a good oiling it all it should need to be good as new.

Shifters

If I get myself some new crossfire shifters will then work fine with the old deraileurs or will I need to swap the whole set?

thanks 🙂

• Gunner

27 July 2009 at 1:01 pm

Cogs

The teeth on the front and back cogs are chewed to pieces, it’s a 21 speeder, so that’s 7 on the back and 3 on the front of course. Can you still get 7 speed sets that I can jam on the back and expect to work?

Yes, you can.

The cogs on the rear deraileur are a bit chewed too, I assume they’re easily swappable as well? as the actually deraileur is fine, a soak in a bath to get rid of all the gunk and then a good oiling it all it should need to be good as new.

Yes, but shop around, they can be ridiculously expensive for what they are in “some” bike shops. 🙄

• Antimus

27 July 2009 at 1:02 pm

Thanks Gunner,

Ok, 1 down 2 to go, shifters and forks, any takers? 🙂

• lordmerchant

27 July 2009 at 1:22 pm

Most newer forks use an 1 1/8 steerer, the steerer tube (or “hole”) is normally qite a bit larger than this, but is kind of shimmed down by the headset raes. So basially you need to measure the part of the up pressed into the frame, if it is 1/18inh you should be good to go. If it is larger there are produts aailable to shim this down futher I’m sure.

As for the shifters I’m not 100%, I know must newer shimano stuff would work with shimano shifters, but beause yours are older the atuation ratios ould be different :S ❓

for for any bad spelling, some keys on my keyboard are bust!

• Antimus

27 July 2009 at 2:01 pm

I’m going to buy replacement front and rear derailleurs, better than trying to fix the worn ones I have. That should also mean new shifters will work fine with them.

I’ll have a looksie at the steerer tube tonight. Cheers!

• Antimus

28 July 2009 at 7:12 am

question, if I buy an 8 cog freewheel sprocket for the back, would it still fit even though it originally had a 7? or would I have to do some DIY?

• lordmerchant

28 July 2009 at 9:17 am

Would depend on the rear freewheel, you would hae to see if it suits an 8 speed sproket. If you get hold of an 8 speed see if the key-ways(grooes) are the same. Not 100% on this one

• Antimus

28 July 2009 at 9:37 am

ok

I’ve been offered the following:

shimano XT Front Deraileur FD M770

for £15, good deal?

• Antimus

31 July 2009 at 9:55 am

Also, would it work on a 7 speed rear cassette? not sure if rear derailleurs are made to be 7/8/9 speed only

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close