Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Minoura ERDA850 Turbo Trainer

Gunner updated 12 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 8 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • mojo227

7 June 2008 at 11:19 am

Hi there,

I am doing a 113km cycle in sept and to be honest, not done a lot of training. When it is good out I intend to be outside, however as I live in Scotland the weather always varies therefore I fancy a turbo trainer thats easy to use and will encourage me to use it without much hassle.

The above caught my eye, however I hear it is no good for Disc Specific rims. I dont think mine are, even though I have disc brakes on my bike (Giant Terrago 2005 model) therefore I think it will be ok as it has about 1cm of flat surface around the rim.

Has anyone tried or had experiences with this trainer, or can suggest an alternative?

Many thanks

• Anonymous

7 June 2008 at 7:56 pm

Hi Mojo

Now I was always under the impression that trainers could only be used with Road bikes as that’s all you ever see being modelled on them. I wonder, for arguments sake , if you could put a 700c wheel on the back just for use on the trainer?

If you live in Scotland though you don’t want a turbo trainer…you’ve got the best training grounds in the country. Turbo trainers are great for boosting fitness but nothing beats getting out there. Also with a trainer you can’t really simulate climbs that well (unless you spend about £500 on a top TACX model) I’m not trying to put you off I’m just saying that the best trainer in my eye’s is getting out there and hitting the black stuff.

Don’t let the weather put you off, as long as you’ve got the right gear, W/Proof jacket, trousers and overshoes you’ll be pretty much dry all day. 😀

• Gunner

7 June 2008 at 7:57 pm

Mojo, I don’t see why any turbo trainer would be no good for disk specific rims?

The only points of contact usually are the tyre and the quick release end points, the rims are not involved, I will have to have a look.

I use this turbo trainer:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150247700289&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D150247700289%26fvi%3D1

With my OCR Team Replica, and I managed to pick this one up for just £15, from this ebay shop with some careful bidding, result or what 😉

• Anonymous

7 June 2008 at 8:08 pm

😯 cool

• Gunner

7 June 2008 at 8:14 pm

You could be right Mojo, I didn’t realise it was a “rim driven” turbo 😳 😳

“Minoura ERDA-850 Rim Drive Home Trainer

The unique rim-drive action of the E-RDA is the ideal choice for mountain bikes with knobbly tyres. Its evolution resistance unit is smooth, quiet and compact with a pivot position to improve roller tension and dampen vibration. The tension rollers have also been redesigned to further reduce the chance of slippage when in use. The solid steel 850g flywheel provides excellent balance and a smooth pedal stroke, particularly at lower rpm, making it particularly ideal for mountain bikers.”

Plus, comment on other sites is that they are very poor in terms of pedalling consistency and feel quite choppy………

• mojo227

8 June 2008 at 11:29 am

Great tips so far guys, you all have more experience than me and I agree that I am probally putting it off, I really need to hit the road and get my finger out! I may wait until winter to get one if I still feel the need to become more on the bike…

as for your £15 trainer! – jeepers that rocks!

if I get a trainer or so, I will comment on how good it all is for future ref.

Thanks again

• Anonymous

8 June 2008 at 12:40 pm

I’ll quote Lance Armstrong here, whilst a documentary crew was filming him through “the slack months” of the off season they followed him on one of his winter training rides up a mountain!! It was abysmal weather and he was a speck in the distance….they get to the top where a very refreshed Armstrong looks dead in the camera and says:-

“This is what you don’t see, this is where the race is won”

A good philosophy I think!

So even in winter I would be out on the bike…unless conditions were really that crap!!! but one thing to bear in mind is that if you go out through the winter whilst friends stay indoors think how much faster you’ll be come spring/summer!!!

• Gunner

8 June 2008 at 6:58 pm

I would just make one further comment Mojo, a turbo trainer really needs a heart rate monitor to fully compiment it, at least that’s my personal opinion.

Turbo’s are hard work if done properly and it’s all too easy just to sit back and twiddle the pedals if you haven’t got some sort of measure to pace yourself by!!

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close