Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Forums Forums Mountain Biking Newbie with a Boardman Comp 2013 with various upgrades.

• Newbie with a Boardman Comp 2013 with various upgrades.

KTM540 updated 4 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 9 Posts
  • MY95

27 January 2016 at 4:20 pm

Hi All

New to the forum, but have been hitting trails/trail centres for a few years now.

Bike Spec:

Fork: Suntour Epicon LOD 120mm

Front Shifter: SRAM X5

Front Derailleur: SRAM X5

Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7

Front Brakes: Shimano Deore M615 160mm

Rear Brakes: Avid Elixir 1 160mm

Crankset: FSA Alpha Drive 175mm

Cassette: Shimano Alivio HG300 11x32T

Chain: Shimano Deore HG53 9 Speed

BB: FSA Powerdrive BB30

Wheels: Pacenti DL31 with Conti MK 2 2.2 (Very good at taking hits but weigh a tonne!)

Setup: Superstar Narrow Wide 32T 1×9 (from 3×9)

From Newcastle/Durham area but go to Glentress and do the red quite regularly, and have done most of the trail centres in the UK and all of the red/black 7stanes.

Cheers

• MPX309

27 January 2016 at 6:05 pm

I love how you’ve switched to 1x, But kept your FD there, as maybe a chainguide? . . . haha 😆

Welcome to the forum

• Nik Gnashers

27 January 2016 at 7:42 pm

Hi MY95,

Welcome to the forum.

I’m also interested in your 1 X 10 but still got front mech on system 🙂

• MY95

27 January 2016 at 8:51 pm

Thanks lads, been researching the last week before I switched to the 1x setup. First ride out on it this afternoon since switching last night.

Is a 1×9 using a 32T Front Superstar Narrow Wide Chainring, with an 11-32T on the back, is great for everything although you have to work on the steep hills at times and find you could do with a higher gear, but looks so much cleaner and just more reliable etc.

Yes left the front mech and shifter on, left the front mech/shifter in the 3rd/top gear and it sits perfectly with the chain in the middle.

• Nik Gnashers

28 January 2016 at 9:28 pm

Thanks lads, been researching the last week before I switched to the 1x setup. First ride out on it this afternoon since switching last night.

Is a 1×9 using a 32T Front Superstar Narrow Wide Chainring, with an 11-32T on the back, is great for everything although you have to work on the steep hills at times and find you could do with a higher gear, but looks so much cleaner and just more reliable etc.

Yes left the front mech and shifter on, left the front mech/shifter in the 3rd/top gear and it sits perfectly with the chain in the middle.

The first thing I did when I went from 3 X 10 to my current 1 X 10 was remove the front mech, shifter, & cable.

I’m not familiar with the sram mech’s … do they have a clutch ?

If not, it may be a good idea to get an XT rear mech with clutch, that way you won’t need the front mech as a chain guide, because you won’t get any dropped chains, and you will save a fair bit of weight too 🙂

Iv’e not had one so far with my RaceFace n/w chainring and xt clutch rear mech, and I have hammered the trails since I upgraded.

• MY95

28 January 2016 at 11:09 pm

Ah nice one, I’m running a 9 speed setup at the moment, in which no RD’s have clutches.

Going to upgrade to 10 speed eventually! Buying a new seat as its a bit worse for wear, a chainslap/stay protector, and some mudguards next.

• MPX309

28 January 2016 at 11:26 pm

Make sure you switch your shifter too to Shimano if you get a Shimano RD

• Threevok

29 January 2016 at 9:21 am

and some mudguards next.

Excellent Idea

Mudguards are useful and cool

Don’t let people here – tell you any different

Embrace you inner Mudger 😉

• KTM540

29 January 2016 at 4:55 pm