Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Planning a BIG ride ;) for 2010

MiniMental updated 11 years, 7 months ago 8 Members · 25 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 3:50 pm

Hey guys, Since i get a lot of time off work at once ive decided to plan myself a big solo ride.. hoping for 5-7 days.. maybe more.. depends where i go and on resources avaliable.

I was wondering, do any of you guys have any idea where i could go? i was thinking scottish mountains or wales or something.. want somewhere big.. the main idea of the ride i want is to explore what left of the country while im still fit and able 😛 Want it to be somewhere offroad, doesnt need to have a trail, i’ll ride across anything within my ability hopefully.. ANy ideas?

Got myself together a list of equipment that i reckon i’ll need, very costly but i figured ide rather by the best i can than pay for it when cheap stuff breaks… heres my list so far..

Boblbee Megalopolis Hard Shell Rucksack

Boblbee Megalopolis Exterior Cargo SideWinders

Boblbee Megalopolis Cargo Bridge

Boblbee Rain Cover

Boblbee Lumbar Casette

Boblbee Harness and Belt MD Pocket

Clothing + Protection

Sidi Giau Offroad MTB Cycling Shoes

THE one composite F/F Helmet – INK

DHB Amberly W/P Pants

Race Face Diabolus Glove

Giro Score MTB Goggles

SixSixOne Comp Suit

Living Equipment

Vango Banshee Tent

Robens 1100 Sleeping Bag

Gelert Inferno PZ Folding Gas Stove

Gelert 2- piece mess tins

Gelert Cutlery Clip set

Kampa 20+3 Tent Light

Maglite 2AA Mini Flashlight + Candle

Gelert Headlight 8 + 2 LED

Gelert Micro First Aid Pack

Gelert Bottle Survival Kit

Gelert Emergency Blanket

Gelert Flint and Magnesium Lighter

Living Equipment Total

Bike Equipment

Cateye EL520 Front Light

Knog gekko LED Rearlight

Shimano M545 SPD Pedals

SRAM Pitstop PTFE Gear Cable

T Aur Brake Pads

SRAM X-9 Rear Derailleur

Folding tyre of some sort..

So, i think ive got the gear just about sussed.. now i just need to figure out where to go.. Just want to explore a large area of ‘wild’ terrain over a few days 🙂 Figured its a worthwile use of my time off and i get to see whats left of the nice bits of the country 😀

I’m thinking some of you may think this is a stupid idea and is’nt really possible or something but i wana give it a shot and see how long i last.

Aidan

• Gunner

22 September 2009 at 4:08 pm

I see you are in South Shields…………

Why not consider crossing the country via Hadrians Wall and dropping down to the Lake District for an explore there, then come back via train.

Don’t forget to take into account that your average speed will be greatly reduced as a result of all the kit you will be carrying, as will your climbing/descending ability.

Why not whip a few maps out and have a look…………..

If you were going to go further afield, how much of your time would be taken up travelling there and back……… ❓

• MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 4:18 pm

Well, im only in south shields to sit my final exams for my naval engineering course.. im actually from the lake district 😛 Dont worry about my kit 😉 i can handle that.. will have to increase my gym frequency mind. Its all lightweight stuff.. hence the expensiveness..

Will have a look at some maps when i get one 😀 The time of my trip starts from when i get there until i decide ive finished my trip and want to come back. I get anything up to 6 weeks off at a time so thats not an issue.

tbh, i suppose you could say i dont want to follow a trail.. just want pure, off road, wild riding, ride all day and explore, find somwhere to set up camp.. set up camp, light a nice fire to dry things out and chill, spend the next day riding around then come back to basecamp, sleep another night, then pack everything up and ride somewhere else 🙂

A pure, remote, outdoor experience 🙂 the only fault i could think of is that im NOT abseiling down cliffs on my own with all my gear and a bike hahaha. nor climbing any. if i cant ride or walk up or down it with all my stuff, i’ll find a way around it 🙂

This may sound silly but its something i really fancy doing 🙂 nto scared of the dark, or getting wet.. be wearing plenty of protection so shouldnt manage to hurt myself to badly, only one rule really.. dont ride beyond my limits. If i dont think a certain desent is managable.. find another way down and vica versa…

So you dont thinks its a stupid idea then?

Mini

• Gunner

22 September 2009 at 4:23 pm

So you dont thinks its a stupid idea then?

Mini

That’s Mountain Biking, isn’t it………………….

How it should be……………:? 😕

😀

• MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 4:27 pm

good 🙂 haha The gear is gona cost a fortune mind… the total price for that list is more or less a grand.. i can find some items cheaper in other places.. but still guna be expensive.. rather do it properly for safety/reliability reasons though 🙂

You think the mountains in scotland are rideable? thats the only part of the plan im not sure on.. the venue!!! lol

Time so consult the maps and google earth 8)

Mini

• BMR

22 September 2009 at 4:28 pm

West coast of Scotland and one or two of the island off the west coast (take a ferry dont swim!)

• MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 4:33 pm

West coast of Scotland and one or two of the island off the west coast (take a ferry dont swim!)

I could hold my breath and ride along the seabed… 😯 haha. I’ll check it out on google earth 🙂 😈 Are there any villages up there? would need to drop in every now and again for supplies.. I could try and live off the earth like Ray Mears.. but i’ll end up poisoning myself or starving hahaha 😳 Theres my starting point, W/C Scotland 😉

Mini

• BMR

22 September 2009 at 4:49 pm

you should be able to plan your route to take in smaller villages and pick up supplys there. you ought to try riding glen orchy, oban, isle of mull etc

• MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 5:01 pm

Sounds like you know something about the place BMR… I wouldnt know where to start with route planning.. thats another flaw in my plan lol Thats gonna be the hardest bit of my plan to execute… route planning and figuring out how to follow it :/

I figure, i want to plan a route that will take me from the start point around in a 5 day loop then end up back at the start or something.. If anybodys good at route plannin i wouldnt mind a hand lol.. failing that.. any ideas where i can buy a decent map from that shows a large area for me to draw a route on… if you get what i mean..

BTW people, any ideas, advice, or suggestions for any equipment ive missed out would be greatly appreciated.

I’m guessing nobody else would be up for a ride of this caliber… probably next summer.

Mini

• did_Matt

22 September 2009 at 7:18 pm

The Isle of Skye off the west coast of scotland is one of my fav places to go in the uk, let alone for biking!

• BMR

22 September 2009 at 7:35 pm

try downloading bikehike its quite good for planning routes and free.

• MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 8:14 pm

cool 🙂

1st, can i camp over there or do i have to find a camp site 😕

2nd how much is the ferry over

3rd and most importantly… how long would it take me to ride right around the island 😛 haha

• MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 8:15 pm

answer to one of them questions… google 😀 (ferry) haha

• MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 8:23 pm

ive looked at skye on the map and realised the miscalculation of one of my questions… nevermind riding right around.. how long would it take me to ride from one side to the other? the map shows that its not seperate from the mainland via bridge.. does this mean i can get the train there 😛 hahaha

EDIT*

Can someone answer me a question.. is it all like… rideable land or are there big farms and whatnot all over.. what i mean is.. ive plotted a route that goes pretty much straight.. but i dont know what obstacles ther will be.. :/

Scratch that i was lookin at the map wrong

Would appreciate ideas ppl 😀

Mini

• MiniMental

22 September 2009 at 8:47 pm

Right, ive conjurede up some sort of impossible route.. here it is..

Please bear in mind i have absolutley no idea what the hell im doing and this is the 1st ever time ive tried to plot a route haha. Is this a possible basis for a route. 😳 😳

Imposibly insane route??

Sorry ive posted this twice.. my fault

Viewing 1 - 15 of 25 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close