Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum General Chat Stepping up & recomendations for £1000 – £1200 full suss

• Stepping up & recomendations for £1000 – £1200 full suss

nickb updated 11 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 9 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • ade

20 August 2009 at 10:20 am

This is my first post, so firstly, hello all…!!

Secondly, as a complete newbie to MTB I need a bit of advice if poss…

So here’s where I’m at.. I’ve been cycling for a few years and in the last 12 months have gotten into MTB in fairly big way. I’ve been getting to Swinley once a month, probably been eight times in all, plus a few other places too. I’m now feeling fairly confident tackling anything at Swinley, most trails I feel like I’m really stepping-up as far as speed is concerned, even some of the more tech bits. I’m just starting to catch little bits of air on trails here and there and I think I’m ready to start leaving the ground in more serious way. I can’t believe quite how much fun we’ve been having. I’m even thinking that I’m enjoying as much as snowboarding, which for me is saying an awful lot. 😀

Now, I’ve been riding a GT Agressor Elite which is a Halfords special, hardtail, that cost about £900 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_512527_langId_-1_categoryId_229915?cm_mmc=AffiliateWindow-_-71959-_-n%2fa-_-n%2fa&awc=1672_1250762386_e9294b753b62f9118e83e2cd1de0ded3 and I thought I was really happy on it until I tried my mate’s Scott Genius 40 last weekend and realised how much I was missing by having a hardtail. In some ways I wish I hadn’t tried it, cos I was really happy on the GT, but I’m thinking if I’m going to step up, perhaps I should invest sooner rather later. But I’m not sure cos his is a £2k bike, so maybe it just felt amazing cos it’s such a good bike. I don’t have bundles of cash to spend. I reckon I could stretch to £1200 but would rather spend £1000. But being a newb and not knowing much about anything, really, I don’t even know if getting a full suss for that money is even worth it? Would I be better on my GT than a cheap full-suss?

Finally, one more thing to add to the mix. As I’m still getting my legs used to this whole mellarky, and I’m certainly no spring chicken, I’m worried that a full suss will make climbs a lot harder. Is that the case? I’m already close to death after a few hours 😥

Cheers all.

Ade

• badblood

20 August 2009 at 10:49 am

Stick with the Hardtail for a while and hone your skills on that, while you are doing that save up a bit more for your full suss and do some research, arrange test rides etc of models that tickle your fancy/ You will end up a better rider in the long run for it and you will have chance t buld your legs up.

A decent full suss design will be no harder on the hills really but will improve things greatly on the descents but the better base skills you have the more fun the full suss will be.

also consider a skills course while on the hardtail.

• miggeth

22 August 2009 at 12:43 am

Could you not just buy a suspension frame and forks, then swap all the components from the GT?

• ade

22 August 2009 at 9:18 am

Cheers chaps.

Well, yep, ok, sounds like a full-suss for this money isn’t an option. That’s cool. Thanks for your advice.

I don’t think changing the GT frame is an option, cos I need to be able to sell the bike to be able to afford the upgrade.

Looks like a summer of saving ahead :o)

Ade

• ade

23 August 2009 at 7:49 pm

Hmmm maybe i was being hasty. I just checked frame prices and maybe that’s an option. Maybe it could be fun too. Is it easy to swap everything? Anything I should look out for?

Cheers

ade

• miggeth

24 August 2009 at 12:58 am

Make sure the bottom bracket and brakes will fit, everything else should swap straight over I think.

• badblood

24 August 2009 at 9:18 am

why not try the vT frame in the for sale section – excellent bikes

• konastinky888

29 August 2009 at 7:13 pm

why not try the vT frame in the for sale section – excellent bikes

do you mean my vt frame 😆

i was thinking the same thing…… 😀

the only things you would have to check for a transfer over is your crank (its an ISIS bb fitted in my frame) and the fork steerer tube size (the headtubes about 14.5cm on my frame) if its too short it wont fit.

i will even throw in a deore front mech that fits the bike, so if your using shimano shifters that will make a change over even easier and will eliminate any problems with front mech clamp size differences between the bikes (meaning you wouldnt need to buy a new one at extra cost).

• nickb

3 September 2009 at 6:05 pm

you could always buy a good nearly new 2nd hand bike for £1200,alot of people with more money then sense buy high end full suspension bikes and never use them.

I have just bought my 1st full suspension bike,i originally set my budget at £1000 then it went to £1300,i then increased my Budget and bought an end of line 2009 Meta 5.5.2 for £1499 which was good value as list is £1899.

2010 bikes all seem to be considerably more expensive than 2009,dunno if its the weak £ ???

The Boardman bikes get fantastic reviews in the mags and they are a bargain,i fancied a Boardman Pro,but due to only being available in Halfrauds and them being out of stock i was stuffed.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close