Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Sundays Ride. 22/03/09

mr-marty-martin updated 12 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 7 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Gunner

22 March 2009 at 7:05 pm

Met up with Hugo15 this morning for a ride he had pulled out of the hat at short notice, he wanted an early kick off too, with it being Mothers Day and all that guff. I was glad of the early start as I had shedloads to do at home, and fancied getting out on the MTB about tea time.

Setting off from Hilton at about 0845 it had the promise of being another glorious day, it was seemingly mild and only a light wind with no threat of rain. It was good to be out on the bike without overshoes on.

Hugo was on his Summer bike, the Airborne. 😉

Plan was to do about 35ish miles over Ingleby, Chop Gate, Carlton way. 😀

Heading out from Hilton we passed through Seamer to Tanton Bridge, then Ayton via the back road and onto Easby, where we turned off for Ingleby Greenhow. We were cracking along at a great pace, the miles flying by and a good bit of craic taking place.

At Greenhow we turned for Broughton then turned for the long climb up Ingleby Bank. I’ve got to admit that up until this point I was champion, but this climb really laid in to me for some reason, I was okay aerobically but the legs were quite empty.

Hugo on the other hand was in great form, despite the shock of almost being “cannonballed” by a rider coming down the steepest part of the bank……. 😆 😆

At the top it was a left turn and then a very quick pace to Chop Gate, where we turned right to head over to Carlton via the Lordstones. This road has a few climbs of its own and although in general I was ok, I again have to concede to struggling 😯 on a few, again it seemed to be a leg problem that I couldn’t identify, I was well fed and watered.

Anyway, fast dash down to Carlton, then headed over to Hutton Rudby, again at a good pace, despite there now being a strongish headwind that had built up as we were out. Down through Hutton Rudby and I again struggled, somewhat embarrassingly, on the climb up out of the village, Hugo was in superb form here and powered up past me to leave me looking almost stationary in the road. 😳

This was so frustrating as it leaves you asking yourself all sorts of awkward questions as why you’re not “on form”, and what you’re going to do to put it right.

Once up the climb and on the level again, I was back up to speed, and we crossed from Rudby to Hilton at a good pace despite the now “strong” headwind.

At Hilton I turned off for Maltby and Stainton and home, while Hugo carried on through the village for Ingleby and home.

I must admit that my pace dropped slightly for the lone home section, it’s amazing that bit extra you’ll put in when you’re riding with some one.

This was a damned fine ride, over a damned fine route, comparable to the hilly Commondale which I favour. I’ll be adding this one to my arsenal and hoping to do better next time.

My route today……..2 hours 25 minutes

35.23 mile.

14.5 m.p.h.

Quite pleased with that, though I did expect the average to be better as we were flying.

Well done Hugo, you rode really well, the Fixed is certainly paying off in terms of fitness improvements.

• HarryB

22 March 2009 at 7:22 pm

That’s a cracking route. One of my favourites. Quite a bit of climbing overall

We did Ingleby Bank yesterday. First time I’ve ever got up it without getting out of the saddle. I was on a standard chainset as well with 25 on the back. I was well chuffed. The turbo has paid off over the winter

• Gunner

22 March 2009 at 7:29 pm

We did Ingleby Bank yesterday. First time I’ve ever got up it without getting out of the saddle. I was on a standard chainset as well with 25 on the back. I was well chuffed. The turbo has paid off over the winter

Hasn’t it just Harry, your Winter training regime and your recent rides/mileage, was our main topic of conversation as we climbed Ingleby Bank. 😆 😆

• HarryB

22 March 2009 at 7:32 pm

Hasn’t it just Harry, your Winter training regime and your recent rides/mileage, was our main topic of conversation as we climbed Ingleby Bank. 😆 😆

Well if it was you weren’t trying hard enough. I was breathing out of my arse

• Gunner

22 March 2009 at 7:38 pm

Harry, my “arse” could have done with an Iron Lung by the time I got to the top, believe me.

😆 😆

• hugo15

22 March 2009 at 8:33 pm

Great ride today Gunner really enjoyed it. Here’s my version of events.

We made a cracking pace over to Ingleby Greenhow. I remember looking down just before the village at my computer and it reading 17 mph and the pacer arrow still pointing down :shock:. Was pleased with the way that I climbed Ingleby Bank. Normal service was resumed as we sped towards Chop Gate with Gunner pounding away in the big ring. We took a right and started the long climb up Raisdale where again I felt OK and was pleased with how I was going.

Once we dropped down into Carlton the wind started to pick up making the ride over to Hutton Rudby challenging. As we dropped down though the village and over the river I was getting ready for the climb when Gunner started to go for it. Normally I drop it into the small ring of the triple but there wasn’t time and I left it in the middle ring and blasted after him, passing him 2/3rds of the way up. My legs were burning but there was no other option but to keep blasting to the top.

As I left Gunner and headed through Hilton I was almost pleased that the traffic lights at the road works were on red to give my legs a rest! Like Gunner my pace dropped after we parted and I plodded home.

I had 2 hrs 16 mins on the clock when I got home. A quick look through my training log shows that this was a decent time.

I think I have really benefited from riding the fixed wheel bike to work over the last few weeks. With not having the option of droping down a gear I can feel my leg strength improving. I also think that I have benefited from the rides Gunner and I have done together, which are done at a decent pace and gets me out of my comfort zone, something its hard to do when you ride by yourself.

Looking forward to the next one already.

• mr-marty-martin

22 March 2009 at 8:41 pm

my race avrg today was in the 25 mph’s untill lap 9 😯

race report will be on tomorow…

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close