Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• The Pu*&*%re Fairy….15/11/09

Gunner updated 11 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 11 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Gunner

15 November 2009 at 3:46 pm

I’ll post the stat’s up first to show that this ride was really quite productive, and enjoyable, on reflection………. 😆 😆 😆

2 hours 13 min.

32.95 mile

14.8 mph

2300 calories

1637 ft. climbing

😀 😀

Met Hugo and JohnRocketfuel at Hilton at 0815 for a as yet unplanned ride out. I had had to don my waterproof last minute as the moment I stepped out the door it started chucking it down. 🙄

This had passed over by the time I met the guys but it looked ready to start again at any moment so I decided to keep it on. Mistake no1 🙄

Heading off towards Seamer we took a right and made for Hutton Rudby, the roads were very wet, and quite mucky, and there was a stiff wind in our faces. I found the going quite a push being done up like the ruddy Michelin Man and was sweating profusely, but the rain looked imminent.

Through Rudby and a left turn to make for Carlton, then on via the back lanes through Busby and Kirkby to make for Broughton.

Here we turned right and began a stiff climb of Clay Bank with the wind in our faces. Gears were low, temperatures were low, and even the cloud was low as we made our way to the top.

A brief rest to get our breath back, and a warning to John about the steepness of the next section and we were off down Ingleby Bank at breakneck speed. 😀

My front wheel took a BIG hit on something that almost threw me near the bottom and as I slowed much farther along the lane to wait for John my front tyre deflated. 😯

Off the wheel and out with the levers, tube change and inflated just as John appeared. It looked like the big hit had caused a little pinch puncture.

Pressing on, we made for Ingleby Greenhow and onto Battersby at good speed with the breeze now more on our backs.

However. 😯 😯

Just on the outskirts of Ayton, my front tyre suddenly deflated again for no obvious reason. 🙄

Quick change, inflate………………………

Nothing 😯

So, quick change, Hugo checked the tube to find a tiny tear in the seam of the tube……………

John offered me one one of his tubes which I put in which again for some reason wouldn’t inflate.

Hugo checked the tube to find a tiny lift in a previously applied patch……………

So out came that tube, and Hugo offered me one of his Vittoria tubes which went in and inflated. 😀 😀 😀

We hadn’t been stopped that long fortunately enough, but it does just show what can go wrong, I had been carrying 2 spare tubes on a relatively short ride. Imagine if I’d been alone. 🙄

I also dread to think if the same problem had happened if I had very awkward, tight fitting tyres or problematic rims, something Greg is suffering from at the moment, though I don’t know which one. Imagine the time taken to remove and replace the tyre each time.

So, we were on the move again, but had to cut the ride slightly short due to time constraints and ended up missing out a loop through Newby, opting to return via a left at the bridge in Ayton and back to Hilton via the RSPCA centre and Tanton Bridge.

Still a damned good ride though, and ruddy good to be out, even though I was padded out like a American footballer.

😆 😆 😆

And big thanks to the guys for their help and patience 😉

• johnrocketfuel

15 November 2009 at 6:46 pm

Excellent ride today, Really enjoyed it with Gunner and Hugo showing me a lot of support and encouragement.

Found Clay Bank a bit of a struggle but persisted and made it to the top.

Those of you who know me will be aware that hill climbing is a real weak point for me so getting up Clay Bank was a personal achievement. 🙂

Also I’m suffering with a small chest infection at the moment so it was all i could do at the car park to not spew my lungs up.

Next weak spot is my descents 🙁 After an initial struggle to get back onto the big ring I began the descent into Ingleby already a few minutes behind Gunner and Hugo. What a scary descent tho, not the greatest of road surfaces, Leaves and pine needles all over the wet road and me trying to ride my brakes all the way down.

TBH I wouldn’t have caught up with the others if Gunner hadnt been visited by the puncture fairy..

Still, for me every day is a school day and i’m learning on each ride. Things can only improve. 😯

Cheers

Johnboy

• Gunner

15 November 2009 at 6:51 pm

John, you did very well on your climb up Clay Bank, don’t think for a moment you didn’t, if we had been in a larger group with somoe more of our members there would have been a few behind you I can honestly say.

As for the descents, that road was quite lethal today, wet, slippy, pine needles everywhere, I was lucky not to come off when I hit whatever I did that punctured me.

Like I said at the top, it’s the MTB experience that makes me good on the road downhills, it’s totally different on the MTB though, I’m a great ruddy fairy when it comes to the steep downhill stuff. 😆 😆

• hugo15

15 November 2009 at 7:34 pm

Good ride today chaps despite the visitation of the puncture fairy (again!). We have been unlucky with getting flats in the last few weeks after a summer of riding with very little incident.

Great effort by John on the climb of Clay Bank today. Again it shows the benefits of getting out and riding with the group. John admitted that he would probably have never have attempted the climb on his own, and if he had he would have climbed off before the top. As it was he dug really deep not to get dropped too far off the back and came in not far behind Gunner and I.

Experience of the descents will come with practice, especially once you get to know them. This will mean you have to practice your climbing too though 😉 .

• ralf

15 November 2009 at 7:43 pm

Like I said at the top, it’s the MTB experience that makes me good on the road downhills, it’s totally different on the MTB though, I’m a great ruddy fairy when it comes to the steep downhill stuff. 😆 😆

too true, too true 😆 😆

• johnrocketfuel

15 November 2009 at 7:55 pm

Experience of the descents will come with practice, especially once you get to know them. This will mean you have to practice your climbing too though 😉 .

I know, I know. Need to look upon the decents as the reward for the climb. 😕

Bit wet and slippy today, not too confidence inspiring 😯

Cheers again fella’s

JB

• Gunner

15 November 2009 at 8:09 pm

too true, too true 😆 😆

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

😉

• grant

16 November 2009 at 7:42 pm

John, you did very well on your climb up Clay Bank, don’t think for a moment you didn’t, if we had been in a larger group with somoe more of our members there would have been a few behind you I can honestly say.

Gunner i hope that was not referring to me was it 😉

grant

• Gunner

16 November 2009 at 8:11 pm

Gunner i hope that was not referring to me was it 😉

grant

Grant, no way. 😆 😆 😆 😆

Especially not after your fantastic efforts on the hills on Saturday.

I hope you had a good few beers on the night to wind down, you deserved them. 😉

• grant

16 November 2009 at 8:15 pm

gunner

believe it or not i have stopped drinking lager i have realised i put too much weight on when i drink it .

grant

• Gunner

16 November 2009 at 8:19 pm

Good move. 😉

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close