Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Todays Ride……..31/01/09

Steve Kish updated 11 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 5 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Gunner

31 January 2009 at 6:43 pm

Met Grant this morning at 0900hrs at the Sporting Lodge to do tis route:

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=3209

It’s a re-run of a ride we did 2 weeks ago but Grant got a flat tyre on his car and couldn’t make it.

Anyway, it was a lovely morning as we set off. Very mild for the time of year but a tad windy. We were both keen to ride as Grant hadn’t ridden for a week due to moving house and I hadn’t done a jot of any form of training due to having a new drive laid……… 🙄

Grant was in good form and making me work very hard to keep pace with him, it’s fantastic the improvement that he’s made, the turbo trainer work is really paying off.

Riding through Stokesley we were heading out into a now very stiff headwind, and it was hard work keeping up a decent turn of speed, though Grant was still pushing hard. As we hit the first series of climbs on tis route just before Kildale I expected Grants pace to drop as he isn’t the strongest climber, but he still managed to keep pushing and was, to be honest, making me seem very very bad……… 😳 😳

I had not trained all week, but I hadn’t cut my diet back either and as a result I felt extremely heavy on the bike today. 🙄 🙄

Going through Kildale and up Percy Rigg Grant still managed to push it on the climb, I was still finding it hard going but didn’t want to push too hard as I knew what was still to come and didn’t want to blow up.

Fast descent then the next climb after crossing Sleddale Beck. Now this climb is STEEP and we both struggled, with Grant having to unclip and get off and walk for a bit befor e getting back on. I stayed on the bike and fought it out to the top. Long fast descent into Commondale then another fierce climb, but much, much longer. Grant had recovered admirably and was pushing again on this one.

At the top as we turned for the Moor road, the wind was eventually behind us and our speed really picked up. A quick climb up Birke Brow, then a blistereingly fast descent took us into and through Guisborough. Then on the dual carriageway I put the hammer down and really picked up the pace with Grant close behind. We blitzed it along this section and into Nunthorpe then headed along Brass Castle Lane where Grant finally ran out of steam and struggled on the inclines. Fortunately my legs were still O.K. and I had a good run down to the Gables. From here it was a quick run back to the Sporting Lodge with Grant probably going to feel this ride on his legs tomorrow. 😉

Time out……….2 hours 26 minutes for about 35.2 mile and about 14.2 m.p.h.

Good ride and good pace considering how blowy it was.

😀

• mr-marty-martin

31 January 2009 at 6:50 pm

i’m yet to walk up a hill on the road bike, although ive been close 😀 must of been hard then

im planning on doing 50-70 miles on the road bike tomorow, but the way the weather’s looking it may be snowy up the tops so may have to cut it short 🙄

• hugo15

31 January 2009 at 7:48 pm

Sounds like you had a good ride. I guess the wind was blowing the complete opposite direction to when we went round 2 weeks ago making the climbs hard but blowing you back home. Not sure which I would prefer?

• Gunner

31 January 2009 at 7:55 pm

Well the way I look at it, your already going slow up the climbs so you might as well have the wind against you then rather than on the open stretches where you can get a good turn of speed up, even more so if it’s behind you.

• Steve Kish

31 January 2009 at 7:56 pm

i’m yet to walk up a hill on the road bike, although ive been close

Try South Wales!! 🙁 No so much the gradient, more the crap road surface as well. Every time I go there, I slap on a 28T sprocket. 😕

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close