Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

• Todays road ride. Sat 01/05/09

Poucher updated 12 years ago 5 Members · 7 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • Gunner

2 May 2009 at 8:08 pm

Well, it’s a wonder I don’t get sick of saying this and that you don’t get sick of hearing it, but if you’ve been on one of our road rides to date then you’d know what I’m saying is absolutely true. 😉

What a cracking ride we had today. 😀 😀 😀

I met Grant, Vince and Peter, Vinces mate, at the Sporting Lodge on a bright and clear morning at 0700hrs and without further ado we set off making for Stainton, Seamer then Ayton.

The temperature was a tad cool, and I think that Peter in his shorts/ short sleeve top was feeling it a little.

This probably helped us keep the pace up in these early stages as were soon riding through Ingleby Greenhow and beginning the tough climb up Ingleby Bank.

Vince on his CR1 quickly powered up this climb with Peter and I following close behind and Grant bringing up the rear.

Now followed a fast blast down the Southern side of Clay Bank and I mean fast, followed by a superb run at a good high speed along the Helmesley road, with Peter and I alternately leading the pack, this was great fun, and either the temperature had picked up or we were working hard.

😀 😀

We then took the right turn to Laskill and some more heavy climbing, and descending, with one extremely humorous moment when Peter had followed me a tad too close down a very steep descent with a tight left hand at the bottom, taken by surprise, Peter was left to “clunk” unsuccsessfully through his gears before having to dismount.

As Vince and I continued on the steep climb, we could hear Peter, “cursing” amidst the sound of more crunching of gears. 😆 😆 😆

Now in Hawnby we turned right and made for Osmotherley via a nice undulating route of steep climbs and fast descents. As Vince, Peter and I were out in front, we gave the impression that Grant was struggling somewhat, but the tale of the tape at the end of the ride showed that this wasn’t really the case as we rode this route with a faster avg. mph than last Sunday. 😕 😕

Great fast descents into Osmotherley that Vince and Peter seemed to really enjoy, then a great fast climb up out of the village past Cod Beck Reservoir.

The weather was superb and the views were stunning, and it was now quite warm 😀

Breakneck descent into Swainby with Peter hot on my heels, then we crossed the Stokesley road and now back on level ground we re-grouped and really picked the pace up again, absolutely flying through Potto, Rudby and Hilton before arriving back at the Sporting Lodge.

3 hours 01 minute

49.83 mile

16.0 mph

A fantastic ride, thoroughly enjoyable, and as I said to Grant, nothing to beat yourself up about as we were 1.0 mph faster than the last time we did this route.

Thanks for a great ride.

• hugo15

2 May 2009 at 8:15 pm

Sounds like I missed a great ride today.

You were much faster than last week. Where did you make up most the time?

• Gunner

2 May 2009 at 8:23 pm

Well, we certainly hammered it from Osmotherley back to the start point.

But there again we were going a good pace on the outward leg and up Ingleby Bank.

Mind you, from Chop Gate to Hawnby we certainly weren’t taking it easy.

Grant seemed to be struggling on the climbs between Hawnby and Osmotherley, but the strange thing was that he was really doing better than last Sunday when we did it. It’s just that Vince and Peter’s strength on the climbs made Grant seem to be having a “bad” day.

Brilliant ride though and we worked well as a group back on the level ground.

You would have enjoyed it. 😉

• vince

2 May 2009 at 8:24 pm

Crackin Ride today,another good route,mostly traffic free and with a good few climbs to test legs/lungs.The early starts are brilliant i was back home not long after 10.30,quick bath and spent the day with wife and kids.Keeps everybody sweet 😆

You were much faster than last week. Where did you make up most the time?

First thing i dare say 😆 ,it was bloody cold and poor Pete had been fooled into thinking it was a warm summers morning,we had to get moving to create some heat.

• Gunner

2 May 2009 at 8:31 pm

Yes, the early start made a big difference, I was almost in a mind to go out on the MTB by the time it got round to the afternoon, 😆 😆

If only the bloody site hadn’t gone down 🙄 🙄

Never mind, these things happen.

But thoroughly enjoyed it. 😀

• grant

3 May 2009 at 6:21 am

great ride yesterday,really enjoyed it .my legs are aching this mornning

after all those bloody hills and the fast speed we were pedalling.

i thought you three were trying to break the bloody land speed record the rate you’s were pedalling,i dont think vince will have any trouble with the richmond ride the way he was flying up the hills yesterday i think i will probably struggle with the richmond ride tho after my two weeks holiday in the sun .

good ride out lads

cheers

cya’s in a couple of weeks 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

• Poucher

3 May 2009 at 5:33 pm

Sounds like you Lads had a Cracker!

When I got up on Saturday morning and it was wall to wall sunshine I was very tempted to join you, but I promised to meet my mates at Reeth for a ride on the MTB’s we did 20 mles mostly off road, but there’s some long chewing climbs up that way 😡

Managed to plant the front wheel in a rut on a fast downhill bit and do a triple salco with half folding pike over the handlebars, almost removed my right kneecap in the process, so its just turning a nice shade of purple now 😳

Looking forward to a ride one evening next week.

Cheers,

Poucher

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close