Find answers, ask questions, and connect with others in our UK cycling & mountain bike forum.

UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum UK Cycling & Mountain Bike Forum The Workshop Triple chainset on Orange 222 is it possible??

• Triple chainset on Orange 222 is it possible??

chrisv8 updated 11 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 18 Posts
    This page may contain affiliate links which means that Cycling Addicts earns from qualifying purchases. See our full disclosure. This page may contain affiliate links.
  • s1mon

5 September 2009 at 8:53 pm

So I have an Orange 222 with FSA ISIS BB and a Truvativ ISIS Hussefelf single 38T chainset and a chain guard, what I want to know is is it possible to put a double or triple chainset on it because there’s not alot of room for a front derialleur due to the size of the “extreme beam” swingarm?? I know the chain guard will have to go and also it is just a case of buying the rings or will I need the crank and arms too as a set??

Basically I want to be able to use the bike for XC as well as moderate freeride / DH..

Thanks all..

• konastinky888

5 September 2009 at 10:15 pm

from what i can see (just googled orange 222 and looked) it seems like you have plenty of room for the mech. im using a marin quake for all types of riding (XC, DH & FR) with a hussefelt dual ring setup, e13 drs chain device and e13 bashguard and its a similar looking frame to the 222’s. (see left

• SeanO

5 September 2009 at 10:39 pm

Does it have any cable stops on the seat tube? I think that bike was meant to only work with a single ring.

• badblood

6 September 2009 at 7:07 am

XC on a 222?

You must be incredibly fit!

• konastinky888

6 September 2009 at 11:28 am

Does it have any cable stops on the seat tube? I think that bike was meant to only work with a single ring.

which could be why i didnt see anything other than a single ring on google……………..

• s1mon

7 September 2009 at 8:55 am

Ahh yeah I know what you mean, I’ve just had a look and there aren’t any brackets for the cable so it’s a no go, wish I’d have realised now I’d have got a patriot frame 🙁

Maybe I’ll have to get a smaller ring and stick with 1 or get a twin crank and just flick the chain onto the smaller ring at the start of the day for Single Track and likewise as and when I fin a decent downhill course to try? Already have an MRP bash guard etc fitted..

When I say XC it’s more single track to be honest over cannock chase etc on the red routes it’s not a heavy bike really not compared to the crud I used to ride years ago lol I love the bike and the amount of travel but it’s just a killer on ascents..

• s1mon

7 September 2009 at 9:52 am

There’s hope yet!!!

Converted to 27 speed >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orange-222-Downhill-DH-MTB-Bike-5th-Element-Marzocchi_W0QQitemZ300345146170QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item45edf73b3a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Gonna ask him what size rings etc he used and any problems he had doing it 🙂 Least it can be done..

• SeanO

7 September 2009 at 10:13 am

That just looks wrong, please don’t put bar ends on your riser bars will you 😯

• s1mon

7 September 2009 at 10:18 am

PMSL I like it 🙂 I just want it so I can go to the chase etc and do XC AND DH on the same bike 🙂

No bar ends, no bottle, no luggage comparment under the seat and definately no bell on the bars either lmao, I have got a computer though for obvious reasons 🙂 that’s as chavy as I go 🙂

• Oscer

7 September 2009 at 11:52 pm

Sorry i carnt belive ime reading this sh**e, the 224 is a full on downhill rig and freeride bike, ffs get a all-mountain mountain bike sorry for ranting it boils my pish 😯

• SeanO

8 September 2009 at 5:36 am

Sorry i carnt belive ime reading this sh**e, the 224 is a full on downhill rig and freeride bike, ffs get a all-mountain mountain bike sorry for ranting it boils my pish 😯

Also, not your bike 😉

Calm down Dear 😛

• s1mon

8 September 2009 at 6:40 am

Excuse me!!!! WTF should you care what I do to MY bikes, please if you have nothing constructive to say then don’t bother, I didn’t join to get slagged off??

So I want a hard as nails bike for freeride, DH etc and single track, so what?? It’ll just be a DH rig with a triple crank like say an 18 geared Kona Stinky I might even get some 888s or Boxxers to go on the front to replace the worn Sherman Sliders, yeah it’d make a heavy single track / XC’er but so what I can keep up with XC bikes easily except on the steeper uphill stuff, you’d be suprised what it can do..

My B17 will be an XC bike but I ain’t taking both to the chase with me everytime, it’s called practicality bud do some DH then nip over onto the single track plus I can cycle up to the start again rather than walk so get more runs in 😉 anyway I bet there’s a few DH/freeriders out there with 2 or 3 rings on the cranks..

• melewie

8 September 2009 at 9:25 am

Back in the day when I had balls I had a double ring on my big hit for the same reasons single track is great fun on DH frame 🙂 unless ther is uphills then life gets very hard very quickly. but I couldn’t afford to buy and run another bike at the time so wa the only option for me.

• s1mon

8 September 2009 at 9:53 am

Ta bud I knew it wasn’t just gonna be me that thought this way 😀

• melewie

8 September 2009 at 10:02 am

Don’t see it as much as I used to but still see people doing a fair bit

Viewing 1 - 15 of 18 posts
Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now

New Report

Close